Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm Back. So Let's Party.

     I am always on the prowl for comfy summer clothes. There is nothing like driving around doing errands in my Civic with its wussy a/c that blows pitiful, asthmatic blasts of air. So refreshring in a Phoenix summer. It's like fanning myself with a single blade of grass while sitting on a barbeque grill. But I digress...
     I was at my home-away-from-home, Savers, and I found a blue chino cargo skirt, quite similar to one I had dreamed up in my imagination. One that I'm too lazy/unskilled to sew. The one I found was too short. I knew this when I plucked off the rack, but maybe I was hoping it would magically extend itself in the dressing room? In my zeal to take it off, I ripped off one of the buttons. So I now I had to buy the sucker. Oh well, another sewing experiment. I wanted to keep the clean, simple look and feel of the skirt. Adding a ruffle really wouldn't work here.
     I found this great tutorial on how to extend a skirt: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/18768/go-to-great-lengths
     I did something similar with mine. First I undid the hem with a seam ripper. Then, I took some bias tape, and instead of wrapping around the hem right on top of the fabric, I wiggled it to the very edge to get more length on it. I would add pictures, but apparently I only took one. Anyway, I ended up adding about 3.5 inches on my skirt. Pretty nifty, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment